Tuesday, 12 June 2012

My Own Private Idaho (1991)

AnOther Man magazine this month ran various articles on the ethos of road movies with the dreaded imminent release of On The Road (2012) in mind. This called for a retrospective of Gus Van Sant's My Own Private Idaho (1991). However, the article was somewhat hijacked by River Phoenix and that pesky little untimely death of his. Whatever, it encouraged me to personally revisit the film for the first time since River died and I am so glad I did. Age has made me more appreciative of Gus Van Sant's autership and the gritty aesthetic that's harmonious with Warhol's previously unsuccessful attempts at humanizing the hustlers.

James Franco has edited moments from the movie that ended up on the cutting room floor and entitled the project My Own Private River. Release of the film is currently in dispute with New Line Cinema but fingers crossed it will make it to DVD eventually. In the meantime, here is a wonderful deleted scene starring River Phoenix. Beautiful man and a brilliantly emotive actor.



No comments:

Post a Comment