Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Heathers (1988)



"Dear Diary: Heather told me she teaches people "real life." She said, real life sucks losers dry. You want to fuck with the eagles, you have to learn to fly. I said, so, you teach people how to spread their wings and fly? She said, yes. I said, you're beautiful." Veronica Sawyer


"The teen film to end all teen films" (yet they continued to make teen films?) reminds me of my final years at school. I was Winona's biggest fan. I carried an orange folder with "Winona" written on the front of it in bubble writing, full of cuttings from newspapers and magazines. I had a cardboard standee of Heathers which I begged the old people who owned the video shop to give me. I went in every day asking them for it until eventually they got fed up and let me have it. I dragged it home and gave it pride of place in my box-room bedroom, in fact it took up half of the room but it was worth it. I was obsessed. 


My friend Vikki and I watched it so many times that we lost count. She loved Christian Slater to the point that her bedroom resembled his character's in Gleaming The Cube (1989) and she wore a Jacket just like his in Heathers. The beautifully written script, which I quoted above has ingrained itself into my brain. If I want to watch the film nowadays I have to watch it alone because I can't help but do Heathers-Karaoke which makes everyone in the room fantasise about different ways of killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment