Thursday, 31 March 2011

Forbrydelsen (The Killing) The Killing (Forbrydelsen)


Dear Forbrydelsen / The Killing (whatever you prefer)

We had only been together for 20 hours before you left me. Now there is a big gaping void in my life that needs thrilling with regular plot twists and high doses of nerve shredding tension. What am I to do?

You kept me company in the early hours of Sunday mornings, either helping me nurse a hangover or rewarding my insomnia. You were always there, waiting for me in meaty double bills on the Sky+ box but now all I am left with is Boardwalk Empire and re-runs of the Sopranos, Six Feet Under and Breaking Bad. Yes, I enjoy them but they’re tasteless compared to the delicious filling of your addictive Danish pastry.

Twenty years, I had been waiting for something like you. When my good friend Twin Peaks left me, I didn’t see the point in opening my eyes for quite some time but then, I began to see odd things that I enjoyed but it just wasn’t the same until you came along. Twin Peaks gave me a dead schoolgirl in the form of Laura Palmer and a huge mystery surrounding her death. You gave me Nana Birk Larsen, a dead schoolgirl with a huge mystery surrounding her death. Twin Peaks gave me Agent Cooper an enthusiastic FBI agent in sharp suits with nightmarish visions who tackled evil in the Woods. You gave me Sarah Lund, a work-hungry and obsessive detective inspector in Nordic Knitwear who threw herself headfirst into the nightmare and tackled evil in the Woods.

I have to break it to you, this is not the first time Sarah Lund has thrilled me to the bone, oh no, for Sofie Gråbøl, the actress behind the miserable façade of our beloved investigator appeared in the Danish morgue thriller Nattevagten (Nightwatch) (1994), one of the most ingenious and memorable thrillers I have ever seen in my life.

How will I cope without your beautiful form; the cliffhangers, the thrills, the secrets and lies and cover-ups? You left me with so many questions unanswered, things, I suppose you’d like me to think about such as who exactly was being protected at city hall? Who was watching Sarah Lund? I know Troels Hartman’s involvement concluded in a Faustian full circle, but the loose ends are left hanging like scapegoat from a rafter. How did Nana’s blood get in the flat? I know what you’re doing, you’re tempting me to watch you again and I might one day but for now you have left me too exhilarated and I am needing to mourn my tragic loss.

What a way to leave me. With a photograph of the dead girl that started it all. This is how my former beloved left me, with a picture of Laura Palmer. It’s effective and it works. I will be thinking of you for a long time and I will miss you like crazy. My nights are now sleepless and my week has no end because you’re gone. It has been an amazing 20 hours and I have no regrets.

I love you and miss you.

Until autumn, when you return with this...

Leigh

Where the affair began

No comments:

Post a Comment