Wednesday, 9 February 2011

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake


PJ Harvey’s Let England Shake is a wonderful album, quite different from the haunting echoes of White Chalk. I was going to review it but rather than go the long way around saying, ‘I like it, because it is good’, I thought I would instead briefly cram together my every single thought whilst listening to it. Here we go, track by track...

Let England Shake
Siouxsie Sioux.
Smoky harbour pubs, dimly lit with gas-lamps.
The smell of Rum.
Kate Bush.
The smell of Pubs just after the smoking ban.

The Last Living Rose
Sheela Na Gig.
Polly in the bath.
Michel Faber’s The Crimson Petal and The White.
The Long Good Friday.
A New Orleans Style Funeral.
I would like to see a woman dancing around a pole to this.

Our Glorious Land
My Grandma’s council house.
The Rent Office.
Joyriding idiots.
Street Parties.
Adrian Mole.
A skip with a mattress in it.
Wallpaper tables decorated with plastic Union Jack table cloths.
White dog shit.
Lush
4AD
The BNP are going to love all this ‘Glorious Land’ stuff, I bet they use it on their recruitment videos.
Geoffrey Rush.
Another Brick in the wall, I think that used to scare me when I was younger, what were the teachers doing to those kids?

The Words That Maketh Murder
Siouxsie Sioux (again)
Strange Fruit
Nick Cave.
New Orleans
The Wicker Man
Hammer Horror
Pagan Rituals
Britt Ecklands bum-double.
Jenny Lewis.
American Idiot.

All and Everyone
Bauhaus
David McAlmont
She’ll probably sing this on Jools Holland
Radiohead
Pink Floyd
I hope my Gran’s okay, her boiler is faulty, I worry it will go up in flames because she’s only got one exit and the boiler is next to it. I checked she could climb out of her window and she said she could.

On Battleship Hill
Jake and Dinos Chapman’s Hell.
Kate Bush.
Tori Amos.
I don’t like thinking about Tori Amos.
Tori Amos breastfeeding a pig.
Geri Halliwell breastfeeding a pig.
Inglorious Bastards.
Far From The Madding Crowd.
Julie Christie.
Alan Bates.
Sheep falling to their death.
Pagan Rituals.

England
Bjork.
Postcards.
Amores Perros.
Fascists are going to lap this up.
Sugarcubes.
Birthday.

In The Dark Places
Oranges are Not The Only Fruit.
Jeanette Winterson.
Maramalade Atkins.
Hanif Kureshi.
David Bowie.
Chocky.
Wordy.
Underground generators.

Bitter Branches
Courtney Love has lost it and will never get it back.
Mexico.
Hayley Mills.
Whistle Down The Wind.

Hanging in The Wire
Andrew Wyeth.
Victoria Wood.
Coat-hangers.
Ferries.
Wind.
The Seagull off You’ve Been Framed who swallowed a hot dog sausage whole, only to throw it up in its entirety a few seconds later.

Written on The Forehead
Cocteau Twins.
Liz Frazer.
This Mortal Coil.
Heaven or Las Vegas.
Erykah Badu.
The Wicker Man.
That feeling of being awake for more than 24 hours.

The Colour of The Earth
Bob Geldof.
How Live Aid was a big scam.
Playschool.
Morris Dancers.
Maypoles.
Christopher Timothy.
Miss Popoff.

So that is what I thought of Let England Shake, I doubt PJ Harvey will shift many copies on my recommendation, but as I said before, I like it, it's good. 

1 comment: