Sunday, 8 August 2010

My Neighbour Totoro (1988)


Toy Story 3 is absolutely brilliant. It’s incredibly emotional, fast paced, high on tension and a pleasure to watch from start to finish. Even though some irresponsible idiot decided to let his 2 year old boy run up and down the aisle, jump up and down in front of the screen and scream throughout the whole film, nothing could detract from the films excellence. One subtle addition to the animated cast heightened my viewing pleasure to the point that I thought I may bring shame on the family by leaving a puddle on my seat. Totoro, from Studio Ghibli’s My Neighbour Totoro, made a subtle cameo appearance and what with him being the star of the greatest animated childrens film ever, he created much of a stir once my children and I had spotted him.

Hayao Miyazaki’s My Neighbour Totoro was released in its original Japanese language in 1988 and later re-released with an all American dub. The film follows the story of Satsuki and her sister Mei and their discovery of some magical creatures in the forest. The film floats along like a dream with a kick of drama in the last 20 mins. Miyazaki brings childhood fantasies to life with stunning animation that makes you yearn for a life in anime where anything can happen. Once you have seen this film, if ever you are told to close your eyes and imagine yourself somewhere peaceful and safe, you will picture yourself laid in the fur on Totoro’s belly or floating through perfectly animated clouds in the back of a bus that is actually a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment